February 27, 2013

Jen's Mind-Bending Facts About Dreams

For those of you who write, or read, or have ever been inspired by anything, check out my friend Jen's blog: Between Asleep and Awake. Her latest post describes the inspiration for her blog title.


I dream vividly. Always have. I can remember dreams I had when I was seven or eight: beautiful visions of soaring over fields of lavender. Though, sometimes I remember dreams I want to forget: images of burning buildings, cars on fire, chaos and crumbling stairwells. I never could understand how I was able to retain dreams the way I do. I remember the colors, smells, and sounds. So much that upon waking, I occasionally forget my surroundings for a moment and taste the ocean I swam in during my dream, or feel the bark of a tree beneath my fingertips. I've advised people not to wake me, since sometimes I forget I'm dreaming and can throw a punch or two before my eyes are even open. (There are some who have seen this first hand and can swear by their bruises.) But once in a while, a dream has only the suggestion of an event, and that allows me to embellish in a story or poem. After all, what are stories but waking dreams?

2 comments:

  1. My recurring nightmare has to do with our dog, Rigoletto, jumping around and between a shitload of alligators on the floor of our living room (when we lived in Brooklyn). I'm on the couch trying to get at him ... anxiety hell.

    The good stuff finds me and my wife in Paris ... she enjoying the sights and me chowing down at the 50,000 sandwich vendors ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff. Paris and sandwiches. Thanks for stopping by Charlie!

      Delete